Carbon Monoxide

Many Americans are exposed to carbon monoxide on an annual basis, an odor-less gas that can be harmful to the human body. This is 100% preventable when a few simple steps are taken. Most people don’t know that they’ve been exposed to carbon monoxide until levels reach the point of causing physical damage. A quick glance at the chart below shows some of the different levels of concentration:


An HVAC unit that is not properly installed could cause carbon monoxide gases to leak you’re your home. This is yet another reason for you to turn to the NATE certified technicians at Mitchell Mechanical for all of your preventative maintenance, installation and emergency service needs.

Other sources of carbon monoxide gas include hot water heaters, gas logs, vehicles (often in a garage) and other gas appliances. Testing for leaks and controlling carbon monoxide levels could save your life. Consider installing a monitoring device in your home.

Some things to keep in mind that will help decrease carbon monoxide exposure:

  • Never start a car in a garage, open or closed. Move it outside if you must leave it running
  • Gas appliances that produce heat, such as an oven or stove, should never be used in an attempt to heat the home.
  • Always inspect your gas water heater and/or furnace for proper functionality before using to ensure all pipes are connected and proper ventilation is occurring
  • Never start a fire in a fireplace without opening the flue
  • Do not use a grill, gas or charcoal in a confined space (such as garage, basement or closed-in porch)
  • Kerosene heaters without a vent should not be used indoors
  • Space heaters have a number of risks; be sure to operate them exactly according to the directions provided
  • If you ever feel dizzy or nauseous when entering your home, or shortly after entering, take action immediately as carbon monoxide gas could be present

For more information on how to deal with carbon monoxide in your home contact us for an assessment of your home’s air quality.